The drink recipes are in and it’s clear you Castaways know your cocktails. Below is a list of the five finalist. I will be meeting with the great staff of the Key West Express tonight to do a taste test of these five and then I will announce the winner this Wednesday.
The winning person will receive two tickets aboard the Key West Express and will have their drink served on the ferry boat during their trip. I will hopefully be able to join the winner on their trip down to take photos and enjoy their creation with them.
Thank you to all who submitted a drink recipe. It was incredibly difficult to narrow down the list. I looked for things like creativity, a name that related to Key West or the Key West Express, ease of making the drink on the boat and serving it to hundreds, and taste.
Congratulations to the finalists and good luck!
Key West Express Drink Contest Finalists
- 5 shots to the wind!
- Papa Joe
- Hemingway Day Cocktail
- It’s Always Sunny
1. 5 Shots to the Wind – By Patricia Dean Paulson
- One shot good dark rum
- One shot fresh squeezed Florida orange juice
- One shot Pineapple juice
- One shot of coconut water
- One shot of Coconut rum
Mix up in shaker~Or Stir it Up Pour over ice,and garnish with a slice of good Ole Key Lime.
I was in Key West some years back,at a nightclub show with my sister in law..there was a lady that had to be escorted out,because she had quite a few too many libations,Lol…Man! I said that woman was 5 shots to the wind! Obviously I had had a few adult beverages myself, and meant to say she was 3 sheets to the wind. knew it came out wrong as soon as I said it. When I got home I created 5 Shots to the Wind~the most delectable of Key West concoctions!
2. The Papa Joe – By Chris Lang
- 1.5oz Papa’s Pilar Dar
- 8oz Black Coffee
- Agave Nectar to taste
The perfect cocktail for an early morning ferry ride to Key West uses Florida Keys. It helps take the edge off last night’s festivities while getting you ready for a day on the Rock. I love starting my weekend mornings with a Papa Joe, in fact I’m enjoying one now as I write this. Cheers!
3. The Hemingway Day – By Brandon Bartlett
- 2oz. Papa’s Pilar blonde rum
- 6oz. Ginger Beer
- .25oz Papa’s Pilar dark rum
The Hemingway Day is 2 oz. Papa’s Pilar blonde rum, poured over ice in a Collins glass. Fill with Ginger Beer and float .25 oz. of Papa’s Pilar Dark rum on top. A garnish of lime or orange is optional. Cheers!
4. It’s Always Sunny – By Jennifer Long Wildman
- 4-6 Muddled Basil Leaves
- 1.5oz Tito’s vodka
- 2oz. Pineapple Juice
- 4oz. Club Soda
- .25oz Cointreau
My drink is called “It’s Always Sunny“: muddle 4-6 basil leaves, 1 part Tito’s vodka, 1/4 part fresh pineapple juice, ice, 2 parts club/seltzer, a Cointreu floater and enjoy.
5. The Ahhhhhhh – By Roger Miller
- 1oz light rum
- 1oz. Parrot Bay Mango Rum,
- 2oz. Watermelon syrup
- 6oz. Lemonade
My neighbors call this one. “Ahhhhhh” 1oz light rum, 1oz parrot bay. Mango rum, 2oz Monin watermelon syrup 8 oz of you favorite. Lemonade. Iced glass. Add liquid and stir.
There you have it. The 5 finalist for the Key West Express Drink Contest! I will be meeting up with the staff of the Key West Express tonight so that we can taste test these drink and pick the winner. You can check out the photos on the RumShopRyan Facebook page tonight.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page