Happy National Rum Day!!!
National Rum Day might not be as big as St. Patrick’s Day or Cinco de Mayo, but to us Caribbean Castaways it’s a pretty big deal. It’s a day to break out the good stuff and sip with a smile. It’s a day to mix up your favorite rum cocktails and dream about what island you’d like to be enjoying that drink on. It’s a day to relax and celebrate the spirit that is so delicious and important to the Caribbean islands.
I’ve been writing about rum and the islands for nearly six years now, been a judge in two large rum festivals, and am happy to call some of the biggest rum writers in the business my friends. Even with all of this, it’s still clear to me that I have so much more to learn about this wonderful and versatile spirit. There’s a huge world of rum out there and I want to sip it all. Care to join me?
Below is a video of Castaway Crystal and myself going over some rums that I’ve been enjoying lately…
Do you have any of these in your collection or are you going to be sipping on them today?
We shot the video on beautiful Captiva Island here in southwest Florida. Obviously rum is synonymous with beautiful tropical islands, but in recent years new craft rum distilleries have been popping up everywhere. From Florida to California to Europe and beyond–rum is global.
Rum is definitely enjoying a rise in popularity. It’s not just for mixing with sweet fruit juices anymore, it can be enjoyed just like an aged whiskey or scotch. Some limited aged rums can even sell for thousands of dollars. If you have one…I want a sip.
So to celebrate National Rum Day, tell me your favorite rums and what you might have in your glass on this beautiful day. Have a great day, enjoy the rum, and I hope your are relaxing on the coast of somewhere beautiful.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page