After one sip, you’ll be talking with strangers on the coast of Martinique.
In Martinique, a Ti’Punch (pronounced “tee paunch” or the more American way “tee punch) is more than just a cocktail, Ti’Punch is a part of Martinique’s culture. Ti’Punch brings together friends, reconciles foes, and is a way to welcome strangers with open arms. That associated culture certainly was brought to life the last two times I enjoyed a Ti’ Punch, in Key West and Nassau. Props to Castaway Carl on both accounts.
Historically people have a Ti’Punch in the morning, better known as the famous “Décollage” (which means “Take off”) to help tackle the coming day. The drink begins with the selection of three key ingredients: Rhum Agricole (White, Gold or Aged rhum according to preference), sugarcane syrup or natural raw sugar, and a piece of lime. That’s it–simple, pure, and refreshing.
Ti’ Punch Recipe
- 1½–2 oz rhum agricole (In my case I used Clément Premiere Canne)
- 1–2 tsp. cane sugar (or ¼–½ oz cane syrup)
- 1 large “coin” of fresh lime
Mixing Instructions: Add the sugar to the glass; squeeze the lime juice over the sugar, and (optionally) add the lime shell into the glass. Add the rhum agricole and stir well. Ice is optional. No garnish.
Let me know about the last time you enjoyed a Ti’ Punch. Were you relaxing on Martinique? Were you in the comfort of your own home? Or did you order it at a bar? If it was a bar I’m curious if the bartender knew what is was and how to make it. Let me know!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page