After one sip, you’ll be hooking a marlin in the stream.
We all have people we look up to and inspire to be like. Some people might be inspired by the President of the United States, others a famous sports figure or perhaps their mother and father. The point is we all have role models and aspire to live a life like certain figures.
As a Castaway, I am inspired by a few people, one of those being the famous late writer Ernest Hemingway. Adventurer, angler, island lover, boxer, writer, rum enthusiast–it’s hard not to be seduced by the life that Hemingway lived.
Because of that lifestyle, it’s hard for me not to be a lover of a rum that is branded after that lifestyle and endorsed by the Hemingway family. That rum is Papa’s Pilar. If you are new to the Hemingway legend, one of his nicknames was Papa and his boat’s name was Pilar. “Pilar” was a nickname for Hemingway’s wife Pauline and also the name of the woman leader of the partisan band in his 1940 novel of the Spanish Civil War, For Whom the Bell Tolls.
There are two choices when it comes to Papa’s Pilar rum, a blonde and a brunette. This week’s boat drink recipe comes to us from the famous Key West bartender, Bahama Bob and is made with the Pilar blonde. The drink is called the Papa Coco and is made with one of my favorite drink ingredients…besides rum…coconut water.
The Papa Coco Drink Recipe
- 2oz Papa’s Pilar Blonde Rum
- Coconut Water
- Squeeze of Lime Juice
Mixing Instructions: Pour the rum into a highball glass with ice and fill the rest with coconut water. Top it off with a squeeze of lime. Raise glass and toast.
Do yourself a favor, go to Key West, visit Bahama Bob at the Rum Bar which is part of the Speakeasy Inn on the south end of Duval Street, and ask for a Papa Coco. You’ll experience a fantastic drink, made with a great rum, in a classic bar, on one of Hemingway’s favorite islands.
Go. Drink. Dream. Live.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page