After one sip, you’ll give thanks to all that is rum.
Thanksgiving is upon us and it’s time to give thanks. I’d like to give thanks to delicious rum, speechless Caribbean beauty, and having wind in the sails, but most of all I’d like to give thanks to all of you…the Castaways.
I would continue to write this blog if it were only my mother reading. But having readers like you to share in the adventures truly makes all the work worthwhile. I learn from your travel stories and hopefully you are inspired by mine.
We are all cut from the same cloth. We are drawn to where the sand touches the blue sea, where the coconut palms dance overhead, and the rum punch flows freely. This island love bonds us. I haven’t met most of you, but I know we would be great friends because of this common bond. The ones I have met know this is true. We are spirited…we are island hoppers…we are Castaways.
This Thanksgiving, I raise a glass of Hot Buttered Rum to you. Cheers!
Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
- 4 ounces (1 stick) room-temperature unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 ounces dark rum
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cups boiling water
- Squeeze of Fresh orange juice
Mixing Instructions: First create the spiced butter by mixing room-temperature butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg until combined. Combine 2 tablespoons spiced butter with 1 1/2 oz. (3 tablespoons) dark rum in four glasses. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water into each, and stir. Top each with a squeeze of fresh orange juice. Raise glass and toast.
Let me know if you mix up a batch of this fall time/Thanksgiving rum cocktail. You’re going to love it!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page