After one sip, you’ll start saving for a boat.
What flavor characteristics does your favorite rum drink have? Is it sweet, or is it bitter? Does it give you a fruitiful blast or is it bold sophisticated?
Whatever your drink preference, there’s definitely a couple dozen rum drink recipes just for you.
Castaway Crystal and I have been comparing rum drinks around town lately. Not a bad way to spend your time I know. She likes the light sweet taste of the Bahama Mama, while I tend to go for a more bitter yet refreshing drink like a Planters Punch. Slowly, we are becoming connoisseurs of local classic rum drinks.
But I’m not one for only going the “classic” route. I like to branch out and see if the bartender knows their stuff. If they fall a little short…boom, here’s a recipe on the phone for them to whip up.
This week’s Boat Drink recipe isn’t a classic that’s found on every beach bar menu, and gives you a sweet, but not too sweet taste. Let me introduce you to the Rum Orange Swizzle.
Rum Orange Swizzle Drink Recipe
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce orange juice, fresh squeezed and strained
- 1 raw sugar cane cube
- 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- crushed ice
- orange wedge and maraschino cherry for serving
Mixing Instructions: Add rum, orange juice, sugar cube and maraschino liqueur to a collins glass. Stir with a bar spoon until sugar cube is dissolved. Fill glass with crushed ice and ‘swizzle’ using a swizzle stick or bar spoon until cocktail is fully mixed and glass is frosty. Garnish with orange wedge and maraschino cherry. Raise glass and toast!
Let me know if you mix this cocktail up and what you thought. I’m always eager to know what you Castaways think!
Enjoy the drink!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page