We Castaways are defined by a few things. Those things are Caribbean islands, sailing the blue, good island music, rum, and of course the concoctions that rum creates. Shall we mix one up?
I usually post rum recipes on Wednesdays, a little push to get you over that mid-week hump. I delayed by a day this week because today…Thursday…is National Cocktail Day!
I love these crazy little “National Days,” it gives all of us an excuse to indulge in the fun. And today that fun is cocktails. Let’s break out the rum.
Today for National Cocktail Day, I’m going to mix up a Cruzan Mai Tai. I am a huge fan of the Mai Tai. They are fruitiful and they are strong.
The Cruzan Mai Tai is a little different, but still tastes amazing. One of the ingredients that makes this Mai Tai cocktail different is the use of Cruzan Black Strap rum. Cruzan Black Strap is reminiscent of the classic navy rums of the U.S. Virgin Islands. It has a rich, dark flavor that adds a little something different to every cocktail, especially the Mai Tai.
The Cruzan Mai Tai
- 1 part Cruzan Black Strap Rum
- 1 part Cruzan Estate Diamond Dark Rum
- ½ part Blue Curacao
- ¾ part Almond Syrup
- ¾ part Fresh Lime Juice
Mixing Instructions: Combine all ingredients over crushed ice in a shaker and shake. Dump into a double Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with a sugarcoated mint sprig in a rolled orange peel. Raise glass and toast.
Let me know if you mix this cocktail up and what you thought. Even if you don’t give this recipe a try, I hope you’re creating a glass full of awesome this National Cocktail Day. Post a photo of your drink on my Facebook page!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page