After one sip, you’ll feel the spur dig in.
Barbados is one of the Caribbean islands that has eluded me thus far. A sin I know. It’s been called the birthplace of rum and a good friend, Mr. Rum Connection was just there exploring the island’s famous rum culture. Because of this, I was inspired to sip on a little Bajan rum.
Cockspur is a wonderful rum that hails from Barbados and is the inspiration for this week’s Boat Drink Recipe. The drink is called the Cockspur Corn & Oil. Not the most normal name for a cocktail, but his made me curious.
The Corn & Oil is made with regular Cockspur Gold Rum and another interesting ingredient, Cockspur Falernum.
Cockspur Falernum is a go-to Bajan accessory for cocktail creation. Made with only the finest Caribbean spices that allow the flavors to marry using a time-honored tradition that has been a Barbadian secret for over 100 years. They then add lime juice to create a deliciously sweet, slightly spicy Falernum that has been an island favorite for generations.
Let’s get to mixing.
Cockspur Corn & Oil Drink Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz COCKSPUR Rum
- 1 1/2 oz COCKSPUR Falernum
- 1 lime (quartered)
Mixing Instructions: Muddle and serve on the rocks with a wedge of lime. Raise glass and toast.
The Cockspur Falernum may be hard to find in the US, but I believe it is found throughout the Caribbean. Grab a bottle the next time you’re in the islands and let me know what you think of this cocktail.
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page