Post by Rebecca Hurt is an adventure seeking biology graduate, currently traveling around the globe.
There’s no shortage of Caribbean islands with beautiful beaches. But the island of St. Lucia has much more to offer than just that. What sets the island nation apart is that is boasts all the white sands and blue seas of its counterparts but marries them perfectly with lush tropical greenery and breath-taking geology. So if you want an extra-special exotic Caribbean holiday then start planning your own St. Lucia holiday to this emerald gem of an island. And if you need any more convincing, here are five of the top reasons to go.
Technically two reasons, Petit Piton and the Larger Gros Piton are two of the most famous natural landmarks in the Caribbean. Adorning countless tourism brochures, these green-covered volcanic peaks rise spectacularly from the edge of the sea and are an awe-inspiring site from the beaches below. The mountains are great for climbers, with the larger of the two being the easier to scale.
For such a small island nation of less than 200,000 people, St. Lucia has no shortage of culture. And some of the best expressions of this culture come in the form of the island’s many festivals. One of the best is the St. Lucia Jazz Festival. Lasting over a week each May, this popular festival mixes a celebration of jazz music and St. Lucian culture. The colourful July carnival is worth visiting for as well.
Thanks to the island’s rugged, tree-covered interior, there is a world of outdoor activities to enjoy in St. Lucia. From trekking up the Pitons, to hiking up the island’s highest peak Mount Gimie, to walking along the Tet Paul Nature Trail and zip-lining through the trees, there are few better destinations for an active holiday. The coastline also offers some of the finest scuba diving spots in the Caribbean.
St. Lucia is home to the world’s only drive in volcano. The boiling and bubbling Sulphur Springs are accessible by road and make for a truly unique visit. Drive straight through the volcanic crater and watch the steam rise for yourself. Be prepared for the pungent smell of Sulphur in the air though!
There is a wealth of things to do and see on St. Lucia, but sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all. With numerous beautiful beaches to enjoy, St Lucia offers an idyllic location to relax and unwind. Make sure you check out Anse Chastenet Beach, Reduit Beach, and Jalousie beach for some unbeatable sun, sea and sand.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page