After one sip, you’ll want to adopt one.
Real pirates drink overproof. Let me introduce to you a Jamaican overproof rum that is surprising smooth but will still kick your ass. Say hello to Rum Fire. Boom.
Jamaican overproof rum is famous for fixing everything from car engines to healing the sick. We’re not doing either today, we are making a refreshing island cocktail to help us through these dog days of summer.
Did someone say dog?
So this week’s cocktail recipe is all about those the dogs. Island dogs that is. Feral four-legged friends called Potcakes.
I believe they are called Potcakes because (at least this is what I was told by a local) after people would cook their peas n’ rice, they would leave the pot outside so the dogs could eat the hard, burnt up rice on the bottom of the pot. Hence the name Potcakes. If anyone has a different story I’d love to hear it.
Now back to the drink.
This simple yet refreshing drink is all about beating the Caribbean heat and having a good time. Grab a little Rum Fire overproof, some fresh grapefruit juice, pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime. The Potcake was created by rum expert Forrest Cokely and it will push any beach party into 6th gear.
The Potcake Drink Recipe
- 1 ½ oz. Rum Fire Overproof Rum
- 3 oz. Grapefruit Juice (fresh pressed)
- Pinch of Salt (I used Himalayan, but table salt is fine)
- Lime wedge squeeze in for garnish
Mixing Instructions: Pour ingredients into a rocks glass with ice. Mix or stir. Garnish with lime. Raise glass and toast.
Rum Fire is still a little hard to get in all states, but distribution is growing. I’ll keep you up to date as I hear new states getting it.
Let me know if you mix up a Potcake and what you thought!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page