After one sip, you’ll be able to take on an angry ocean.
Sometimes you just need an instant dose of relaxation. It could be in the form of a good book, a drive with the windows down, or it might be a quick and smooth rum drink. By the looks of the photo above, you won’t need a map to find out which form of relaxation this story will center around.
This simple and smooth rum drink is called The Survivor and it will help you get over any temporary trial you are experiencing. For Castaway Crystal and myself, this drink was inspired by a Bahamas trip that wasn’t quite up to par (you can read about that ordeal here). The Survivor is also inspired by the onset of winter. Cold weather is starting to over take all you Castaways in the north and I have a feeling you might need a little rum in your life.
The cocktail is made with one of my favorite rums, Papa’s Pilar dark. It’s smooth and oh soooooo good. Being that we had a case of the stuff onboard during the Bahamas trip, it truly did help us relax when the going got rough.
Here we are making The Survivor on the beach of Cayo Costa State Park here in beautiful southwest Florida. A setting like this adds a little something to the flavor don’t you think?!
The Survivor Drink Recipe
- 1 Part Papa’s Pilar Dark Rum
- 1 Part Rum Cream
- Splash of Lime Juice
- 2 Dashes Angustura Bitters
Mixing Instructions: Add ingredients to mixing glass full of ice. Shake well. Pour into shot glass or in rocks glass over ice. Raise glass and toast.
Beautiful location right! Yes, this is the drink recipe I tricked Castaway Crystal into thinking we were doing when I proposed to her. You can get a behind the scenes look of that moment here.
Like I mentioned, the location is Cayo Costa, a barrier island here in southwest Florida. The only way you can get there is by boat. We rented a pontoon boat with Sunny Island Adventures on Captiva Islands. If you’re in need of a boat when visiting Sanibel or Captiva and want to explore Cayo Costa check them out.
Are you a fan of Papa’s Pilar dark rum? If you have a bottle laying around the house mix up this little cocktail and let me know what you think. It’s really good over ice as well.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page