After one sip, you’ll find yourself on the coast of somewhere beautiful.
I just looked at my Weather Underground app and the high temp today is suppose to be 77 degrees. Just about a perfect December day here in southwest Florida. While many of you might be cursing me as a polar vortex brings single digit temps and bone chilling wind chills your way, I do have solution and inspiration.
This salty pirate grew up in Kansas, so I know what it’s like to be frozen to the core and see nothing but gray skies for weeks on end. It can really weigh on a person, especially a Castaway that dreams of warm beaches.
Rum and something to look forward to!
First let’s give ourselves something amazing to think about. How about a 3-day music festival on the beach of Fort Lauderdale!
The Tortuga Music Festival is just that. Mark it on your calendar, April 7-9. It’s the perfect cure for the cold winter blues. Not only does it give you something warm and amazing to look forward to, it’s the unofficial kickoff to the Summer fun!
Just imagine yourself there…swimsuit on, toes in the warm sand, 80 degrees temps hugging your body, and Kenny Chesney singing songs about islands in the sun. That just warmed you up a little bit didn’t it! Here is a complete list of the artists who will be performing at the 2017 Tortuga Music Festival.
Now that we have something to look forward to, let’s turn our attention to the body warming friend we call rum.
This rum recipe is all about the holiday season and making you feel all warm and fuzzy. It’s called the Cruzan Spiced Apple Cider and it pairs perfectly with a cold December day.
Cider drinks and beers are trendy right now. I myself am not a big fan, but I know a lot of you are. This drink calls for Cruzan Aged Dark Rum but being that it’s a Spiced Apple Cider drink I thing Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum works nicely as well.
Cruzan Spiced Apple Cider
- 1 1/2 parts Cruzan Aged Dark Rum or Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum
- 1 part Simple Syrup
- 3/4 parts fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 part Cider
Mixing Instructions: Combine ingredients in a glass and serve over ice. Garnish with freshly grated cinnamon and allspice. Raise glass and toast.
Let me know what you guys think of this drink. Let me know if it keeps you warm as Mr. Polar Vortex knocks on your door. Let me know if giving yourself something fun to look forward to like the Tortuga Music Festival makes those cold winter days coast by more quickly.
For those attending the music festival, I’ll see you there! If you can find me, I’ll have a RumShopRyan koozie for you!
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page