If you’re looking for a great Cinco de Mayo drink recipe, then you’ve come to the right place.
Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican celebration of their victory over the French in 1862. Nice work neighbors!
Here in America we do things a little. Seems like we love to take other country’s celebrations and turn them into a big reason to party. Cinco de Mayo is a good example of such. In America we say the day is for celebrating our Mexican American culture, but part of me thinks that a lot of us just want a reason to drink Corona and tequila. Definitely not a bad thing in this pirate’s book.
So to do my part and celebrate Mexican victory day, I thought a cocktail would be appropriate. Let me introduce you to the Cruzan Classic Mojito.
Yes, I know the Mojito isn’t a product of Mexico, it’s a Cuban drink. Let me try to explain and unravel this twisted mess for you.
The Mojito is Cuban, the day is Mexico’s, and mojitos aren’t usually made with coconut rum. It’s pure craziness for sure! But I figured since Americans like to adopt things that aren’t really their own and party like crazy, why not muddy the water a little more and throw a little Cuban tradition into the mix as well! Why not, that country is becoming more and more assessable and I’m sure we will be celebrating something of theirs soon enough.
Raise them high my Castaway amigos and let me introduce you to the Cruzan Classic Mojito.
Cruzan Classic Mojito
- 2 parts Cruzan Aged Light Rum
- 1 part Cruzan Coconut Rum
- 8-10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 Lime Wedges
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- Splash of Coconut Soda
Mixing Instructions: Gently muddle mint leaves with lime and sugar. Add both rums and ice. Shake twice to mix. Top with Coconut Soda.
And there you have it, and fantastic Cinco de Mayo drink recipe. Hit us up on Instagram at @CaribbeanCastaways and let me know what you think of this drink recipe.
Want More Rum Drink Recipes?
Want more Caribbean rum drink recipes? Click here to see our list of 52 rum drinks and how to make them. Invite some friends over and impress them with your rum skills, because each one tastes like paradise in a glass.
Every good mixologist needs some good cocktail making gear. I recommend this cocktail mixing set, it has everything you need and it’s what I use at home.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page