After one drink sip, you’ll be floating through the streets of Havana.
If you’ve been reading this salty rum soaked blog for any amount of time, then you know I love those national drink days. Well, grab a bottle of rum and a glass because today is National Daiquiri Day!
I’m not here to celebrate the pink, red, and orange frozen daiquiri drinks. I’m here to pay homage to the original concoction that was born in Cuba and was a favorite of castaway Ernest Hemingway.
Each year on July 19, National Daiquiri Day is celebrated across the United States with glasses of this rum-based cocktail.
Legend has it that the daiquiri was likely invented by miners in a small Cuban town called Daiquiri. In 1898 an engineer named Jennings Cox supervised the mine and after work he and his colleagues would gather at the local bar. One day Cox mixed white rum, sugar, and lime into a glass of ice. Named after the Daiquiri mines, the drink spread across the island and became the toast of Havana.
Today I’d like to make a drink with just a small twist on the original daiquiri. Let’s make the daiquiri with coconut rum instead of white rum. I think the sweetness of the coconut is a compliment to the sourness of limes. I used Cruzan Coconut Rum for this drink.
Cruzan Coconut Daiquiri
- 1 part Cruzan Coconut Rum
- 1 splash Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
Method: Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass and skate well with ice. Serve in a snifter, or strain to a cocktail glass.
Today I raise my Coconut Daiquiri to you Castaway! I encourage you to make one at home to celebrate this Caribbean classic cocktail. If you do, let me know what you think!
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page