Like all of you, RumShopRyan and I are still heartbroken over the destruction that Hurricane Irma and Maria have inflicted on our beloved Caribbean Islands.
It’s overwhelming to see how many people need help out there. I wish we could help them all. I wish we could do more than just get the word out and send a few donations. It doesn’t seem like enough, but for right now, it’s the best we can do.
It’s difficult to decide who needs the spotlight the most on our blog. In truth, they all do.
Across the Caribbean people have lost their jobs, their homes and life as they knew it is gone. Normal everyday things we take for granted such as a roof over our head, running water and electricity are now considered a luxury for those affected by the storms.
So again, how do I choose who to write about? Like any passionate writer, I can only do so by personal experience and what’s close to my heart – and Virgin Gorda is just that.
RumShopRyan and I were there on our honeymoon only THREE WEEKS before Mother Nature decided to level out the once lush and wondrous rock.
Every enchanting thing we experienced is now gone. Friends we made are now struggling with their new reality.
Restaurants we enjoyed are now in peril. Though unable to receive a paycheck, the employees are still working hard to clean up the mess that Irma ruthlessly left behind.
One restaurant in particular tugs at our heartstrings…
My one and only request during our honeymoon was that Ryan would treat me to a nice romantic dinner instead of the usual beach bar. Once in a while this beach girl likes to hang up her do-rag and let her hair down.
For the past six years CocoMaya has been a favorite for locals and visitors alike.
Located at Fort Point in Spanish Town with a “Beach-Chic” vibe, it’s waterfront dining at it’s finest.
The atmosphere and food were sensational. It was definitely one of the most memorable nights during our celebratory week on Virgin Gorda.
We enjoyed our evening so much that we went two more times during our trip.
Sadly, CocoMaya did not fare well during Irma and now the staff needs your help.
They have created a gofundme to help them make ends meet while no income is coming in.
They are working hard to get CocoMaya up and running so wonderful memories can be made again.
Please consider donating. Any amount will help!
(A big Thank You to Marta Garraus for sending me post Irma pictures)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page