When RumShopRyan and I take trips down to Key West, he usually goes for the Papa’s Pilar Rum and I go for the Hemingway cats. Wait, what?! Cats?! Yes, cats.
What was once the home of legendary author, Ernest Hemingway, is now home to over 40 cats. Pretty much sounds like what my home would have been if RumShopRyan never married me.
The Hemingway cats are quite special. Not only are they polydactyl (six-toed) but some are even descendants of Ernest’s beloved cat, Snow White.
When I heard about this utopia for crazy cat ladies, I HAD to see it for myself.
On my first adventure to the Conch Republic, I hopped off the Key West Express with excitement and made a B-line for Whitehead Street where the author’s home resides. Ok, so maybe I stopped at Fat Tuesday first for a Rumrunner and then went to his house. When in Key West right!
As soon as you walk onto the grounds of the Hemingway estate, the search for kitties can begin!
The cats are free to roam all over the premises, so it kind of feels like an Easter egg hunt. Only you’re not looking for decorative eggs, you’re looking for furballs with big feet.
You’ll find them over, under and around every corner. Just don’t try to pick them up and put them in a basket. I’m sure you would get kicked out and labeled a crazy cat lady for life.
If friendly felines aren’t your thing, you can still enjoy the lush landscape and take a guided tour of the property.
During the tour you will learn many humorous and interesting facts about Papa and his beautiful home. The urinal story is my favorite. You’re just gonna have to go to see what I’m talking about.
Thankfully the historic home and cats were left unscathed after Hurricane Irma. Make sure it’s on your “To-Do” list next time you visit Key West. Just go…right meowww!
Never Stop Exploring
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page