Drive, walk or bike 4.25 miles through a mangrove ecosystem to see some of the best wildlife Southwest Florida has to offer. You’ll see things that fly, swim, run, slither, crawl, and bite! Just don’t get too close to the ones that bite!
With the diverse amount of species that call Ding Darling home, it’s a nature photographer’s dream. That’s why I love it so much!
I have to admit, when I visit the park, I get lens envy. It’s easy to feel a little ill-equipped when standing next to a photographer with a mega 600mm telephoto lens. Maybe Santa *cough* RumShopRyan will buy me one for Christmas.
Anyways, enough about me — Back to the animals!
One species that calls Ding Darling home is the American White Pelican. Just like our other “snowbirds” these birds are only in town during the winter months and leave by spring. This amazing bird has the second largest average wingspan of any North American bird, after the California condor.
The best time to observe these magnificent animals is at low tide around sunrise and sunset.
Be certain that they won’t be alone. Many other species will be interacting and sharing the marshy wetlands with them such as Roseate Spoonbills, Herons, Egrets, the American Alligator and the rare American Crocodile.
Another reason why I love this preserve is because you can take your time and get lost in nature. Just don’t get too lost, remember some critters can bite!
If you’re driving through, you can park on the right side of the road and get out of the car whenever you want to get a better view of the wildlife around you. For only $5 you get access to the refuge all day so don’t fear missing out on the perfect photo! There are also several trails to hike off the main road.
Every day is different at Ding Darling so keep your eyes peeled. You never know what bird, mammal or reptile will cross your path.
Check it out and don’t forget to bring your camera!
Never Stop Exploring
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page