A trip to Key West is always a bar hopping good time. But sometimes I like to give my poor ol’ liver a break in the midst of the Duval Street shenanigans.
If you find yourself feeling the same way, I found the perfect place to take you away from the loud bar scene and into a magical peaceful world – The Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory.
“Butterflies… flowers that fly and all but sing.”
As soon as you walk through the double doors into the garden, you truly feel like you have just walked into a fairy tale.
Follow the brick path into a misty dream world full of lush greenery while gorgeous butterflies that burst with color flutter all around you (and may even land on you).
Not only butterflies (I love the big blue ones that were impossible to photograph), but also a variety of tropical birds reside in this southernmost paradise. Let their songs add to the already soothing ambiance that will encompass you. Be sure to say hello to the flamingo duo Rhett and Scarlett. They love to chatter.
The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory has become one of my favorite places to visit in Key West. It is by far one of the best butterfly exhibits I have ever experienced. I walked through it twice and it still did not feel like enough time. I didn’t want to leave that mystical dreamland.
When you purchase a ticket, you are free to go through as many times as you’d like until 4pm. I suggest you take total advantage of this because you never know when a different species of bird or butterfly will pop up!
Keep in mind, the garden is climate controlled and extremely humid. It’s almost like sitting in a sauna, so be prepared to sweat. Sweating might be a good thing though. It will help you detox before your next round of beers at Irish Kevin’s.
The conservatory is located near the corner of Duval and South Street. So after you have your picture taken at the Southernmost Point, head on down South Street to Duval and make a left!
Below are some pictures from our beautiful journey.
Pin It To Pinterest!
I highly recommend a visit if you are looking for something a little different to do in Key West.
If you are visiting Key West on a cruise ship, we recorded a podcast episode just for you! We know you only get so many hours to explore the island, so we want to help you hit the best spots during your one day there. Here is our What To Do In Key West During A Cruise Ship Stop episode.
If you are planning to be in Key West longer than a day, then here are a few hotels that we recommend and love. We’ve stayed all over the island, from resorts, to B&B’s, and even a hostel, we are happy to give you a few ideas so you can spend more time in Key West.
- Parrot Key Hotel & Villas
- La Concha Hotel – Great location on Duval Street
- Avalon Bed & Breakfast – Southern Duval Street
- Old Town Manor – Bed & Breakfast just off Duval Street
- Casa Marina Resort – Oceanfront South Island, More Luxury
- The Artist House – “Haunted” B&B just off Duval Street
- Southern Most House – Stunning Old Key West Mansion on the ocean
Our favorite way to get to Key West is the Key West Express ferry. You can see what that’s like here.
Enjoy and Never Stop Exploring!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page