“When I look into the eyes of an animal, I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul – A.D. Williams.”
Have you ever been on a trip and quickly became attached to a new four legged friend? Well, that’s what happened to me during our stay at Fountain Bay Resort on Cat Island.
Every morning and every evening we were greeted by a lovable floppy-eared pup who went by the name of Carlos. Funny how a self proclaimed crazy cat lady ended up bonding with a dog on Cat Island.
During the evening hours, when Ryan was in the shower, washing away the day’s sweat and salt, I’d sit outside with Carlos and we’d battle the mosquitos and no-see-ums together. I wanted to give this poor stray as much attention as I possibly could – who knew when his next human interaction would be.
At times he acted like he wanted to come into our villa, and oh, I soooo wanted to bring him in – to give him a break from the relentless bug bites, to get him out of the heat and give him the comfort of an air-conditioned room. But that was a big “NO” from Ryan. Rightfully so. I’m sure the resort wouldn’t have appreciated it either. But the thought was there and it was tempting every time he looked at me with those sad eyes as he try to nudge his way in.
My heart bleeds for underdogs like Carlos. He was an outcast – his family kicked him out of the pack. I know all too well what it’s like to be the outcast – rejected, ignored and forgotten. I’m sure we all have our stories of such heart-wrenching scenarios.
Yet even with his scars on the inside and out, it didn’t hold him back to love on others as he craved for it in return. I hope one day he finds it permanently. At least for now, travelers like myself can periodically give him the attention he deserves.
If you ever make it to Cat Island, go down to Fountain Bay Resort and give Carlos a scratch behind the ears for me.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page