Hey Castaways! Welcome to episode 4 of The Caribbean Castaways podcast. Key West is one of our favorite islands, it is America’s Caribbean with a funky personality. It’s also relatively close to us here in Fort Myers. We can jump on the Key West Express ferry and be there in about three and half hours, driving takes about 5-6 hours for us depending on traffic.
We know a lot of people visit during a cruise ship stop, giving you about 6-7 hours to experience the island. There’s so much to do and see in Key West that there’s no way you can do everything in that time. We are still finding new things and we’ve been 30-40 times. But this episode will give you some MUST SEE places and MUST DO activities in Key West during your cruise stop.
Caribbean Castaways Podcast Episode 4: What To Do In Key West During A Cruise Ship Stop
Key West Family Friendly Must Do’s:
- Photo by the Southernmost Point
- Hemingway House – Kids might know about the history, but cats! Cash Only $15 general admission, $6.00 kids 6 – 12 and 5 and under are free.
- Butterfly Conservatory – General admission $15.00 Children 4-12 $11
- Tour Fort Zachary Taylor state park – known as Fort Taylor or Fort Zach to locals, it is a civil war-era fort which was started in 1845. Park entrance fee depends on the number of people in your vehicle – one person $4.50 two $7.00 each additional person add fifty cents. Riding a bike or walking $2.50
- Shipwreck Museum – admission is free. Travel back in time to look at artifacts from the sunken ship Isaac Allerton which sank in 1856 on the Florida Keys reef
Key West Water Activities:
- Snorkel and Diving the Reef
- Jet Ski tours
- Booze cruises
- Ferry to Dry Tortugas
- Go to the Beach! Smathers/Fort Zachary Taylor
Must Visit Key West Bars:
- Irish Kevins
- Sloppy Joe’s
- Captain Tony’s
- Rum Bar
- Schooner’s Wharf
- The original Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville
- Smokin’ Tuna Saloon – Cool courtyard, music
- Green Parrot
Great Uniquely Key West Restaurants:
- Blue Heaven – Key Lime Pie
- Real Macaw – Great Bloody Mary Bar
- Street Food – Meat Cart usually by Sloppy’s
- Pepe’s Cafe – Great breakfast and lunch – courtyard- Caroline St.
- Louise’s Backyard – Waterfront on Atlantic – nicer restaurant
- Latitudes on Sunset Key
Key West Tours/Activities:
- Visit Hemingway Rum Company – Papa’s Pilar Distillery
- Rent a scooter and explore the island
- Conch Train tour
- Duval Crawl
Pin It To Pinterest!
Join our Patreon Castaway Crew. For LIVE broadcasts, exclusive content and other perks! Please become a Patron and support our content creation so we can bring more of it to you. https://www.patreon.com/caribbeancastaways
Become a Patron!
Please let us know if you have any questions about Key West. Hit us up on Instagram and DM us your questions.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page