After one sip, you’ll be floating with the island fairies. It will make more sense in a little bit.
What did I learn at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival? I learned that if you try to sample all of the over 100 rums represented, you will have to take a walk on the beach to clear your head and eat a plate full of greasy french fries to calm the dizziness. Hey, when in Rome right?
The rum festival was great for a lot of reasons, one of those reasons is a ton of new drink recipes. You like those right? I thought so.
Every rum company came loaded with promotional materials to educate the masses about their brand. Each flyer, brochure, or business card I picked up seemed to have another great rum recipe on it. It was a “Boat Drinks” gold mine, and this salty pirate was cashing in. All in the name of you Castaways, may your glasses always be full!
That brings us to today’s new Boat Drink recipe. It’s from the Puerto Rico rum company DonQ, and called the Island Juju.
Why will one sip of this Boat Drink have you floating with the island fairies? It’s because one of the ingredients is the famed green fairy, Absinthe. We’ve all heard the stories behind this spirit, that it will make you see things, talk to walls, or make out with your dog. In reality those are probably just crazy made up stories, designed to build hype and allure around the spirit…probably.
Being that Absinthe is banned in the US, this Boat Drink might be a difficult one to make. It still sounds pretty good minus the green fairy though.
Island Juju Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz. DonQ Añejo rum
- 1 oz. Tamarind Purée
- 1/2 oz. Demerara syrup
- 1/2 oz. Lime juice
- 1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum
- 1 Barspoon Absinthe
- 2 Dashes Orange bitters
Mix rum, tamarind purée, demerara syrup, velvet falernum, lime juice and orange bitters in a cocktail shaker. Add ice and shake well until chilled. Strain into highball glass filled with crushed ice. Top it with barspoon of absinthe. Garnish with mint sprig and pineapple.
If any of you Castaways mix up this concoction I would love to hear what you thought. I would also like to hear how many of you have tried Absinthe and what you thought. It’s still on my “Must Do” list. And I promise that when I do try it, I’ll write about it, and that I won’t be making out with any house pets….I hope.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page